Providing Boating Accident Attorney Services in Roseville, Rocklin, Lincoln, Granite Bay, Folsom and throughout California
Northern California is a beautiful area for boating. Unfortunately, every year too much personal watercraft and boating accidents occur on waterways throughout our region. When boating accidents occur, the results are often devastating or tragic. Boating accidents happen all too often, whether on Folsom Lake, Lake Oroville, Lake Shasta, the Sacramento River, the American River, the Delta. If you need help after an accident, contact us today.
We understand the complexities of water injuries and how to investigate liability in boating accidents. The boating accident attorneys at Ashley Law will help you every step of the way. Call us today at 888-ASHLEY-911 to learn about your legal options.
Here are some factors that may contribute to a boating accident on lakes or rivers:
- Extreme weather conditions: Waves can create disturbances that make steering difficult. Lightning can also be a concern when on a lake.
- Reckless boating: Speeding or showing off for friends can result in accidents, possibly with other boats.
- Improper boat maintenance or equipment failure: Caring for your equipment will save you from accidents in many cases.
- Inexperience: Take courses and proper pathways to ensure that you have all the experience you need.
- Alcohol: Like driving, alcohol can also impair rational judgment and response time when operating watercraft.
The personal injury attorneys at Ashley Law can assist you in determining who was responsible for the boating accident that harmed you. We can advise what legal action you should consider against the individual or company.
While you may be reluctant to take legal action if you were aboard the vessel of a friend, you should not hesitate to pursue a case. The insurance company will be the one that pays for your losses and damages, not your friend personally. The insurance company is better able than the victim to bear the costs of the severe injuries that a boating accident can cause.
Personal Watercraft/Jet Ski Accidents
As is often the case with motorcycles, Jet Skis, and WaveRunners, personal watercraft are often operated by inexperienced or persons too young to legally drive a motor vehicle. Some of the most common causes of accidents involving personal watercraft include:
- Lack of proper training
- Speeding and reckless driving
- Lack of proper supervision
Personal watercraft can be extremely powerful. As a result, it’s possible to inflict severe injury or death when operated improperly. Contact the boating accident attorneys at Ashley Law if you’ve been struck by a personal watercraft or injured due to a collision. Our personal injury lawyers have over 50 years of experience representing seriously injured clients.
Reduce Your Chances of Experiencing a Boating of Personal Watercraft Accident
Even the best drivers and most experienced boaters can be susceptible to serious boating accidents caused by other drivers or external factors. Taking proper safety precautions can significantly improve your odds of having a fun day in the water without incident. Below are some tips boaters can follow to help avoid disaster:
- Never drink alcohol while operating a watercraft. Alcohol consumption is the leading cause of fatal boating accidents in the United States. Whether you are operating a watercraft or a motor vehicle, do not drink and drive.
- Wear a life jacket. According to the California Department of Boating and Waterways, more than 75% of people who drowned on California waterways between 2008 and 212 were not wearing a life jacket. Although life jackets are not guaranteed to save your life, statistics show they can make a huge difference.
- Be especially alert during peak boating. Early afternoon hours are hazardous due to the increased number of watercraft.
- Be aware of weather conditions. Just as how auto accidents increase during bad weather, the same is valid for boating accidents.
- Follow driving rules for watercraft in the state of California. While following these rules can help prevent you from legal responsibility, never assume that other drivers will heed the rules. Remain observant at all times.
- Carry proper safety equipment.
If you have been injured on a waterway in Northern California, contact the personal injury attorneys at Ashley Law before it’s too late. When you pursue a compensation claim, the insurance company may offer you a lowball settlement. Before accepting it, be sure that you have talked to a boating accident lawyer to make sure the money is enough to cover your losses in full. Call us today for your free case evaluation at 888-ASHLEY-911 to have the boating accident attorneys at Ashley Law help you.